Gincy Self Bucklin was born 80 years ago today, in a 200-year-old colonial farmhouse in New Canaan, Connecticut. Here’s a short list of her accomplishments so far:
- 68 years of teaching riding to students of all ages.
- 30+ years of operating riding schools, including New Canaan Mounted Troop (founded by her mother, Margaret Cabell Self), The Wilton Riding Club, and Lion Hill Farm, which she founded in 1978
- 3 published books and a 4th due out in 2013
- Hundreds of column inches of articles and columns in newspapers and horse magazines, including her current column in Riding Instructor
- Riding With Confidence, a Yahoo discussion group with almost 900 members, especially for horse lovers learning to deal with fear
- What Your Horse Wants, her life’s work – an innovative and in-depth approach to riding instruction, that teaches people to ride in a way which is kind and helpful to the horse, and which develops the partnership that all horse lovers want to have with their horses.
- Plus 2 children, 6 stepchildren, numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and countless horses, dogs and cats.
Happy Birthday, Gincy!